Tain Museum Image Library
481 Contributor: Tain & District Museum Year: 1900British Linen Bank in Tower Street
One of a series of postcards produced by William Smith in the last quarter of the 19th century. The foreground shows the garden of the British Linen Bank in Tower Street. The main part of the building is now a private house, although the Bank of Scotland retains a small branch office there. The front garden has been turned into the bank car park. Two buildings can be seen in the background. The turret on the left is part of the Royal Hotel, built in French Gothic style by Andrew Maitland & Sons in 1872. The gable beside it is the frontage of the renaissance Town Hall, also by Andrew Maitland & Sons and built in 1874/5. This building later became a cinema and is now derelict.
Picture added on 17 December 2015 at 11:03