This key was presented to Sheriff Guthrie by Provost Fowler on the ceremonial opening of the Carnegie Free Library, on the 4th August 1904. The handsome building was built by local architects A. Maitland and Sons, who were responsible for many of the fine stone buildings in Tain. The building was a gift from the world-renowned philanthropist Andrew Carnegie of Skibo Castle, the cost being £1250. The silver key was made by local jeweller William Ross, known as “Willie Tickie”. One side of has St Duthus and the inscription “St Beatus est Duthacus” and on the reverse “presented to Sheriff C J Guthrie K.C on his opening the Carnegie Free Library Tain 4th August 1904”.
|Cat No.||Not specified.|
|Date added||May 20th, 2021|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|