This is the large seal that was granted to Tain on Queen Victoria\'s accession to the throne in 1837. Tain has Royal connections going back to Malcolm Canmore who first granted the town "Rights and Privileges" which led to the Town\'s current Royal Burgh status. Among our collection, we have charters from James VI and Charles II confirming some of the Town\'s rights including the income from the Mussel Scalps in the Dornoch Firth. Moulded on both surfaces of the seal. One side has a woman in a long cloak on horseback, a courtier holding reins, lettering around the outer edge - VICTORIA. DEI. GRATIA. BRITANIARUM. REGINA. (missing part). DEFENSOR. The other side has Royal Coat of Arms, Unicorn on the left, Lion on the right, of Scotland and England. Colour of seal -"sealing wax orange".
|Date added||May 31st, 2021|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|