Charter recording the grant of a tenement and garden in Tain by Paul Fresaill, Dean of Ross, to Donald Fresaill, dated February 4th 1534 or 1535. The burgh seal with the figure of St Duthac is on the first tag. Two other seals are missing. The charter is written on vellum or calfskin. It describes the location of the tenement in detail, placing it at the southwest end of the present High Street. The grant was subject to an annual payment of 3 pennies Scots to the church of St Duthac. After the grant was made, bailie Alexander Davidsoun transferred possession to Donald Fresaill by sasine, giving him earth and stone from the ground of the property. This was recorded by a notary as the Instrument of Sasine, or title to the property. Charter is in Latin with a translation inside the box. Other names mentioned are Donald Henryson Macgilleduff, James Keith, Donald Johnsone, John Scott, Alexander Fresaill, Donald Cuyk, Alexander Dingval.
|Collections||Documents / Tain Burgh|
|Date added||June 6th, 2021|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|