Plan of the Commonty of Breannachy or Garrack Moor, near Tain, Ross-shire, 1866.

Plan of the Commonty of Breannachy or Garrack Moor, near Tain, Ross-shire, 1866.

Included in Collections: Maps

Object Description

Drawn up by H Morrison, land surveyor, Inverness, during a boundary dispute between Sir Charles Ross of Balnagown and others in 1866. Although this commonty was not part of the burgh lands of Tain, the sub-division illustrated on this plan is typical of what happened to large parts of Tain's common lands which had included about 3000 acres of moorland. Encroachments on these lands were common, for example, fencing off land or cutting peats without permission. Until the early 19th century there were regular perambulations of the boundaries by the town council in order to identify any encroachments and deal with them. The route passed to along the eastern edge of the Commonty of Breannachy then along the road westwards to Bearnischlay or Bearn a' Chladheimh (see smaller plan) which was near the location of one of the four girth crosses marking the extent of the medieval sanctuary of Tain. In an attempt to avoid encroachments by neighbouring heritors such as Balnagown and to generate revenue, the burgh lands were gradually feuded out at 6 pence an acre. The plan illustrates the type of complex pattern of tenure that resulted and which led to continuing boundary disputes.

Cat No. 2774.025
Collections Maps
Date added July 24th, 2021
Added by Tain & District Museum

Add Your Comment