The Hilton stone is a spectacular Pictish monument probably carved in the 9th century. The main part of the stone, shown here, had the carving on its other side chipped off in the 17th century so that it could be used as a gravestone - although it never was, perhaps because it was too heavy to move. It originally stood near the site of the old chapel at Hilton. In 1811 it was recovered from the foreshore nearby, and eventually erected in the gardens of Invergordon Castle. In 1921 it was given to the British Museum but after a huge protest was sent to the Royal Museum in Edinburgh, where it remains today as one of the key exhibits in the Museum of Scotland's archaeology section. A dig at the Hilton chapel site in 2001 found the broken-off bottom section of the stone, which has well-preserved carving on both sides and was probably in or near the stone's original location. The dig also recovered hundreds of the fragments chipped off in the 17th century. A full-size reconstruction of the stone had already been erected at Hilton in 2000, showing the above design as it probably would have been when newly carved. The finds from the 2001 dig are being pieced together to enable the design of the other face to be reconstructed. The carving of this side is underway at present.
|Date added||September 15th, 2004|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|