Captain John B W Dewar lived in Harperfield House, Sandilands, Lanarkshire, but frequently came to Tain and had many associations with the area. He would stay in the Royal Hotel but also either at Culpleasant or nearby when taking part in shooting. In this vicinity, there is a grave complete with granite gravestone, dedicated to "Geordie" one of Captain Dewar's dogs. See Picture #403 He valued his association with the Tain area and was very generous, giving donations to poor funds and to sports clubs in the area e.g. St Duthus FC & Balintore Boys FC, and providing several sporting trophies. On more than one occasion, he was President of Tain Golf Club. His associations with this area cover, at least, the 1920's and early 1930's. The appellation "Captain" came from his service in the Cameronians during WW1.
|Albums||Clubs and Societies / People|
|Date added||July 6th, 2005|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|