The Ark

The Ark

Year: 1930 | Included in Albums: Places

Photo Description

This historic building was situated between the bottom of Hill Street and Well Street. It was reputed to have been built during the reign of James II (1437-1450) and the residence of one of the early clerical provosts of Tain. The Marquis of Montrose spent the night in this building on his way to execution in Edinburgh after his capture at the battle of Carbisdale in 1650. Incredibly, this building was demolished in 1940 despite the valiant efforts of Provost William Ross to save it.

Cat No. 737.3
Year 1930
Albums Places
Date added August 26th, 2005
Added by Tain & District Museum
2 Visitor Comments
  • image description

    Estelle Quick

    Does anyone know why this house was called The Ark? Was it because of its age?

  • image description

    Archie MacArthur

    There was a house in Errogie called 'the Ark' because it was so close to the loch nearby, and if water levels were high, it looked like the house was floating! Maybe something similar here?

Add Your Comment