This fountain was created as part of the decorations for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Celebrations in 1887 on the former site of the market cross which had been moved as it was an obstruction to traffic. It was constructed by William Macrae & Sons, Plumbers, free of charge. Presumably it was built as a temporary feature. The fountain fixture (but not the base of rocks and ferns shown in this picture) was later transferred to the garden of Mansfield House (now the Mansfield House Hotel) which was occupied by the then Provost, Donald Fowler. It can still be seen in the hotel grounds.
|Albums||Occasions / Places|
|Date added||February 19th, 2004|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|