The photo shows the Schooner "St. Duthus" at Great Yarmouth harbour. We don't know its complete history but for part of its career it was owned in Tain and captained by a Captain Shepherd, and traded along the East coast and to Baltic ports. We know that c 1901 it was owned by Mackay & Mackenzie, wood merchants, Tain, because a half share in the vessel was left by John A Mackenzie (died 1901) to his wife, Jane, in his will. In 1903, it sank after a collision 100 miles NNE of "Spurn" (presumably Spurnhead). At the time of its demise it was owned by William Swanney, Kirkwall, so it must have been sold not long after John Mackenzie died.
|Albums||Businesses / Transport and Communications|
|Date added||November 11th, 2007|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|