This large granite boulder lies near Glenmorangie Distillery on the left hand side of the A9 road going north from Tain. It had been carried to this spot during the Ice Age and left behind when the ice melted. As you can see, it bears the inscription, "The Immortal Sir Walter Scott OB 1832." Different explanations of how this inscription came to be put on a stone in the Tain area have been put forward but from documentary evidence in the museum it seems that the following version is most likely to be the true one. A lady, possibly a Miss Lindsay, was passing through Tain when she heard of Sir Walter Scott's death and being an admirer of the novelist and poet, sought permission from the local landowner to have the inscription put on the stone. The landowner, Hugh Rose of Tarlogie's father, assented and after that successive farmers kept it freshly painted until the stone and its immediate site was purchased by Glenmorangie Distillery. Before the lettering was added, the stone was known as "The Big Stone of Morangie" or simply the Morangie Stone.
|Albums||Monuments / People / Places / Social Customs|
|Date added||January 21st, 2008|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|