In November of 1895, Pattison, Elder & Co made a donation of a solid silver trophy to Crown Hotel proprietor George Harvey, which was duly presented to his beloved Saint Duthus Football Club.
The “handsome” cup was photographed for display in the window of wine merchant Donald Macleod’s shop on the High Street, resplendent in all its glory for the town to see, inscribed with the following text:
PATTISONS’ CHALLENGE CUP
Presented by Pattisons Distillers, Leith
To The St Duthus Football Club
For Annual Competition
Between the Ross, Cromarty and Sutherland Association Football Clubs
To G Harvey, Crown Hotel, Tain
Under the auspices of the now defunct Ross-shire Junior Football Association, the trophy was contested every year until the advent of war in 1914, and featured as a prominent fixture in the football calendar from 1919 until the mid 1930s. Each time the final was played at the home of Saint Duthus FC, at the Links.
It was revived in later years by the Ross-shire Welfare League where it was played at both Tain and Inver.
|Cat No.||Not specified.|
|Albums||Football / Sports and Recreation|
|Date added||May 2nd, 2022|
|Added by||Niall Harkiss|