This shows the planting of a tree in the collegiate churchyard in Tain to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. The group consists of members of the town council, some of whom are wearing masonic aprons. Provost James Vass is standing to the right of the tree holding a small ceremonial spade. Although the tree itself is no longer there, a cast iron commemorative collar which fitted on the trunk is in the museum collection, and one of Dr Vass's descendants has the engraved ceremonial spade. Left to right: Mr Dan Munro (chemist), Sergt ? (caretaker of the church), Mr Gordbrand (Culnaha), Rev Fraser (Fearn), Mr Edward Matheson (Volunteer), Mr White (coal merchant), Mr John Mackenzie (town clerk), Mr Andrew Maitland (architect), Rev Colin Macnaughton (Tain), Bailie Donald Duff, Mr WJ Macdonald (sheriff clerk), Rev Hutcheson, Provost Vass, Sheriff Mackenzie, Dr Kennedy, Bailie William Ross, Mr Fraser (Mayfield), Mr Duncan Cameron (Commercial Bank).
|Albums||Occasions / People|
|Date added||January 30th, 2004|
|Added by||Tain & District Museum|